Nutri/ Coarse Cereals includes Sorghum (jowar), Pearl millet (bajra), Finger millet (ragi) and other millets. Nutri/ Coarse Cereals are traditional staple crops, which perform well in marginal environments and are superior in nutritional properties with high micro nutrient and dietary fibre content and low glycaemic index.
- It is rich in protein, fibre, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid, and carotene.
- It is rich in potassium, phosphorus and calcium with sufficient amounts of iron, zinc and sodium
- Major portion of sorghum protein is prolamin (kaffirin) which has a unique feature of lowering digestibility upon cooking which might be a health benefit for certain dietary groups.
- Sorghum proteins upon cooking are significantly less digestible than other cereal proteins, which might be a health benefit for certain dietary groups
Pearl Millet (Bajra)
- Pearl millet contains considerably high proportion of proteins (12-16%) as well as lipids (4-6%).
- It contains 11.5% of dietary fibre. It increases transit time of food in the gut. Hence, reduce risk of inflammatory bowel disease.
- The niacin content in pearl millet is higher than all other cereals.
- It also contains foliate, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc and vitamins E and B- complex. It has high energy content compared to other millets.
- It is also rich in calcium and unsaturated fats which are good for health.
Finger Millet (Ragi)
- Finger millet is the richest source of calcium (300-350 mg/100g)
- Ragi has the highest mineral content.
- It contains lower levels of protein (6-8%) and fat (1.5-2%)
- Finger millet proteins are unique because of the sulphur rich amino acid contents.
- The grains have excellent malting properties and are widely known for its use as weaning foods.
- It has high antioxidant activity
As per the 4th Advance Estimates of Ministry of Agriculture & Farmer Welfare, the estimated production of Nutri/ Coarse Cereals of India will be 51.15 MT, which is higher by 3.40 MT than the production during 2019-20. Further, it is also higher by 7.14 MT than the average production.